Friday, October 23, 2009

기억은 잊어도 심장은 기억한다

Sorry it's taken me so long to write-- I've been waiting for something really exciting or life-changing to write about instead of filling my blog up with redundant, useless posts.  The past week has been very busy, both for the very good and, unfortunately, the very bad.


For those of my English-speaking family and friends back home who have no idea what the above phrase translates to, it means "Through the memories are gone, the heart still remembers." Many may know already, but my Papaw died this past week.  This Korean phrase means a lot to me.  I was very young when my Papaw was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease.  I don't get a lot of the memories the rest of my family gets, but even though I don't get those memories, I know that my heart remembers and will always remember. It's been really hard not being able to be with my family.  My Papaw was the strongest man I've known and my Mamaw is just as strong, if not more.  For the past 15 years, my Papaw as suffered greatly.  It's a very sad disease-- one that I hope no one I love has to endure.  To watch someone fade away, both mentally and physically, has been one of the saddest things I've ever seen.  For the past 15 years, I've watched my Mamaw, the strongest woman I've ever known and my hero, dedicate her life, her love, her every being to taking care of him.  Over the years, my Papaw has suffered various other medical problems.  But there Mamaw was: taking care of him, not giving up.  When I left for Korea, everyone had already accepted that the tragic day was inevitable and more importantly (for me), that it was going to happen while I was away.  It was decision I had to make and obviously, I chose to leave.  I sometimes wonder at night whether or not if that was the right decision, but I know deep down that my Mamaw or Papaw would never want me to stay back and see the inevitable occur.  My Papaw would want me to come to Korea and knowing that, I'm sure I made the right decision.


It made me miss home really bad.  I cried a lot while talking to my parents and Mamaw on Skype.  But it's really comforting to know that my Mamaw, as strong as she is, is doing as good as she can be.  I wish I could be there to order a pizza, watch TV with her-- the things I now feel like I sometimes took for granted.  It's the small things now that I look back on and wish I had spent more time and dedication doing.  But it's my mistake I have to live with and my mistake to learn from.  I know my Papaw is in a much better place.  He is home in Heaven and I know he is smiling down on us, watching over us.  He put up a long, difficult fight and I know he is at peace now.  Finally.


On a much lighter note...


I'm sitting up in Katelyn's apartment right now watching the Kia Tigers play in the Korean "World Series" (I'm not sure what you would call it.)  The series is 3-2, the Tigers ahead one game.  The sixth game is going on now and the score is 3-2, Tigers down one. It's funny to watch Katelyn and I cheer on a baseball team in Korea. Also, I feel like I've kept up with this team more so than any other sports team back home-- weird.  





I hope to go see them play next season.  I wanted to go see them this season, but I never got around to getting a ticket and planning a weekend to go to a game.  


This past weekend, my friend Joey Cronin put on a city-wide Scavenger Hunt for the expats.  There was a list of 90 items that we had to document with pictures.  Random things such as do taekwondo with a Korean, dance to Korean pop songs, and make a human pyramid with a Korean were among the tasks.  It was a lot of fun which eventually ended with bar hopping and really good pasta at Chosun University.  Myself, Jo, Jessie, Kate, and John were on a team.  



It was a good way to spend the weekend and hang out with some of my favorite people. That night, I later met up with people from my school.  It was an awesome night and everyone was in such good spirits.  
The picture to the right is of my team, "The Midnight Lightning" in the bathroom at SpeakEasy, a local expat bar.  


This past Tuesday, ECC us a one-day vacation.  So, instead of sitting around and wasting the day or going downtown to the bars the night before, we decided to take the day and use it wisely.  We went to Naejangsan National Park, about an hour and a half north of Gwangju.  



It was absolutely beautiful! We went at probably one of the best times-- the leaves were changing and the weather was perfect.  Katelyn, Sam, Stephanie, Prairie, and I all went.  It was a very cheap trip.  It cost us only 20,000 won total for the bus tickets, snacks, and the entrance fees.  We walked some beautiful paths, passed a lake with a gazebo, took a cable car up to the observation tower, and then went to a local temple.  It was definitely a great way to take my mind off of things and get out and do something.  And as always, if you're my friend on Facebook, the full picture album of Naejangsan is on my profile.





Also, it gave us all beautiful excuses to use our new cameras.  This past week, I bought a new Samsung digital camera.  It is touch screen, 12.2 megapixels, and has a LCD screen on the front to take pictures of yourself easily (which is so Korean).  The best feature is that instead of changing the setting on the camera to get the best picture, whether it be a portrait, landscape, or whatever, it does it for me. It was definitely a good buy and well worth my money.



This week, Alex, ECC's manager, called Ian and I in for a meeting.  We knew what it was about: Ian is leaving in a week and they want to see what is being left in the apartment, etc.  Well, they threw us a curve ball.  They asked if I wanted to live with Katelyn since we are leaving at the same time.  I, of course, said yes.  Katelyn and I get a long too well and we have a lot of fun together.  So, the new teacher (which just got here about an hour ago and I have yet to meet him) and I will live together for the next month then I will move into Katelyn's apartment. So, I'm pretty excited about it! 


This weekend is Ian's last weekend in Gwangju so it just be fun-filled an exciting.  Plus, the new teacher, Steve, should get a nice warm welcome so we are going to go out for dinner then take him out downtown.  Now, I must end this post so I can stop ignoring Katelyn.  Take care, be safe, and love you all.


No comments:

Post a Comment