Sunday, September 13, 2009

...and this time I'll keep my promise.

I've been absent for way too long. One of my promises to my family, friends, and more importantly, myself, was to keep a blog and four months into my life in South Korea, I've failed to uphold that promise. But a new day has dawned and with it, beautiful words, thoughts, and stories that I can later reflect on at a later date. After all, isn't that the purpose of a journal or blog; to instill your memories in written form? Memories fade but the written word never does.

What has (or hasn't) happened in the past four months? First and foremost, I'd like to emphasize GREATLY the amount of love, fun, and compassion I have for this country, my friends, and my experience. For those of you who don't know, I am teaching English in South Korea at ECC (Education Center for Children). It is a private academy, or hogwan, and I teach 130+ students. Our school is very large compared to other English schools in Gwangju, having a team of 15 foreign teachers and 15 Korean teachers. Most of my friends from other hagwans have only one or two foreign teachers. I am really thankful to be at a large school like ECC because I've definitely formed some great relationships with both foreign and Korean teachers. My schedule alternates-- somedays I begin work at 2:00 and others I start at 3:00. And for those of you who are wondering, yes, that is in the afternoon. So, Aaron gets to sleep in which makes this pretty much the best job ever. I teach 13 classes total; 6-7 on MWF and 4-5 on TR, depending on the week. I enjoy 99% of my classes. I teach from ages 7-16. The class materials range from "This is a square" or "This color is blue" to gerunds, second and third conditional phrases, and other grammar. I do prefer to teach the grammar-- it makes me feel like I'm really utilizing my degree and plus, the students seem to like it. I think I learn more about English grammar by teaching it rather than sitting behind a desk.

Since we're on the topic of school, the month of August was one that truly tested my ability to be a teacher. I worked 13 hour days, five days a week. Why you ask? Well, two times out of the school year, ECC has Intensives which are classes the students can enroll in to get extra practice in English. Three other teachers worked Intensives (Katelyn, Sam, and Stephanie). I had never been so worn out in my life but at the same time, grown up. I had to be punctual and "on top of my game" all the time. My patience continuously ran low but only because I saw SO much of ECC. Well, not that the month is over, I can say that it paid off considering I was paid almost W800,000 extra on my September paycheck. I think it was a big commitment for me only because I had been there for only two months prior and honestly, I was (and still am) learning the ropes a bit at the school and how things operate. Nonetheless, August was a good month because it is paying for trip to China at the first of October. :)

As for traveling, I think I've done quite well considering the minimal amount of time I have been here. I haven't traveled many places outside of Gwangju yet, but I did go to Seoul when Kara came to visit back in mid-August. We had a really great time and I'm so happy she came over! We visited Gyeongbok Palace and Insadong in Seoul. Seoul is so big! Definitely makes Gwangju seem like a smaller city even though it has 1.7 million people. Kara's visit made me finally realize that I do have some of the best of best friends back home. I miss everyone a lot. As for being homesick, it hasn't really happened yet (no offense to my family and friends). It's like I miss the people and not the place kind-of-thing. Kentucky was good for me but I had to get out-- I think everyone who knows me can agree with me on that remark. I cried hardcore the first night I was here because of the 36 hour plane ride and so much was thrown on my plate at one time from my roommate Ian, but it lasted one night and I woke up in the morning, in a new country where I could not read or understand any of the language, and felt normal-- like I was where I was supposed to be. And to this day, that feeling has not changed. I feel like I'm at home here-- I'm supposed to be here, teaching these kids English. It makes me feel really good; that I'm going to be remembered by these kids. It may sound arrogant but not everyone can just pick up and move away like I did and honestly, it is the best thing anyone could ever do for themselves. I know so many people who have either had their lives decided for them or they decided their life's path too young and too soon. If you can travel and have the time, do it before it's too late. We only live once and you can't imagine how this changes you-- even if it only has been four months.

Anyways, back to traveling. One night, I decided to go to Osaka, Japan in July with my really good friends Jo and Jessie. Jo paid for my flight and everything there. She is such an amazing person and truly one of my best friends here in the G-Dubb. I got to know Jessie a lot on that trip and I'm so happy she decided to move back and do another year in Korea. These two girls are amazing and I can't imagine meeting better people. Osaka was a blast, though, and I saw a lot of great things like Ancient Nara and downtown Osaka. It was so large and so bright! Everything you see in the movies or read about Japan is true. While I did love Japan, I think my heart belongs with the Koreans. The two cultures are completely different which to me, was surprising. Japan is a bit more edgier while Korea is a little more put together and uniformed if you understand me. Anyways, I want to go back to Japan someday. In October, as I said before, I am going to China with Jo, Jessie, and Lauren. Four other teachers from ECC are going too but I'm leaving a day later so the other three can go. We are going to see The Great Wall, The Forbidden City, Olympic Park, and other amazing things. I'm super excited and it is only three weeks away!

I just started taking Korean lessons at my school. I can ALMOST read Korean but not quite yet. I'm really enjoying the class, though, especially being the class clown with Whitney. Korean is apparently pretty easy to pronounce and I've been told I speak it very well so hopefully I'll stay on track and keep learning the language. I've recently missed school so this gives me a small taste of education which is perfectly fine. :)

I would say my closest friends at ECC are Katelyn, Devon, Jake, Prairie, Sam, and Stephanie. Katelyn and I have bonded really fast. Just last week, we were asked to extend our contracts until August because it is so difficult for the school to find teachers in May. So, we both accepted the deal because we're getting a larger bonus at the end. It was weird waking up one day saying I have eight months until I go home and then the next day, say I have a year left. This changes my game plan quite a bit for the next year. Instead of coming home for a month next summer, I will only be coming home for one week in July next summer then coming back to Korea. My plan to do another year of teaching (hopefully at Chosun University here in Gwangju) in September is still intact-- so from May 2009 to December 2010, I will only be home in America for around 10-12 days: one week in the summer and another few days in November 2010 for my sister's wedding, which by the way, I'm super excited about! In order to be better qualified for the university job, I am going to take the TESOL which is a certificate that improves your teaching abilities. Hopefully I'll start it by January and have that under my belt just in time to apply for the job in the spring.

It's weird to think that I actually prefer hanging out with Koreans more than other foreigners. While I love the foreigners I've met, I really love to branch out. I've met some really great Koreans while I've been here. I've become really close to Young-tae Kang. He is a fifth year medical school student and we've hung out almost every day. I definitely enjoy his company As for the teachers, I have become really close with Monica. We sat next to each other at work for the past three months, but then she was promoted as the Kinder Head Teacher so she had to move beside Tanya. :( Other Korean teachers I've become quite close to are Sophie and Phoebe (who secretly loves me even though she calls me "Dumb" and constantly says reminds me that her day is going awful because she saw me in the cafeteria).

I've learned a lot about the culture by becoming good friends with other Koreans including the whole respect issue. For example, you never pour your own drink-- someone pours it for you. And when you pour someone's drink, you always put a hand over your heart or under your elbow. While some people may think it unnecessary, I think it adds character and honestly, American culture (if we have one) could learn a little something about respect from the Koreans.

Other things I've learned is that while kimchi is considered to be magical and could possibly be the cure to such diseases like HIV, cancer, and the Swine Flu, it, in fact, does not do any of those things. For those of you who do not know what kimchi is, it is Korea's most famous side dish-- fermented cabbage in very spicy red sauce. Some places have really good kimchi while others have not-so-good kimchi. Either way, I try to eat some every meal because it is a good source of Vitamin C and with that being said, brings me to my next point: Koreans are obsessed about good health. I know what you're thinking: "That can't be a bad thing." Well, you're right. But they are obsessed with Vitamin C supplements, good food, etc. I think my immune system has never been this strong. I'm not complaining.

Next, is Korean Pop music. I can't tell you how much of a little school girl I turn into when I see 2PM or Super Junior on TV. While the pop music phase is long gone in America, it is incredibly popular here in Korea. The songs are very catchy and I actually have more Korean songs on my iTunes than Young-tae does. My favorite band by far is Super Junior-- a band that has 14 or so members. Their most popular song is "Sorry, Sorry" but my personal favorite is "It's You." If you haven't noticed on Facebook, I try to keep my friends updated back home on the hottest trends and links to Korean bands are always a hot item.

And last but not least: Soju. It is the Korean alcohol that yes, has formaldehyde in it. It messes me up when we go out to the bars and causes me to have some of the worst hangovers ever. You'd think I would have learned my lesson by now. Maybe I'll send some home to let everyone get a small glimpse of the night life in SK. :)

So, I know this is quite a lengthy blog and I apologize for its ridiculous length, but this is my fault. I'm not punishing you, I swear. I'm just trying to envelop everything that has happened (or at least try to) over the past four months. With that, however, it is 12:34 am on Monday and I'm about to call it a night. I will do my best to update this weekly. If you got this far in my post, thank you for your valiant effort. Take care and miss you all!

P.S. Pictures will be posted on here in the next few blogs, but if you want to check them out, just go to my Facebook page.

Currently reading: "For Whom the Bell Tolls" by Ernest Hemingway

No comments:

Post a Comment