Friday, September 18, 2009

The Best Things Come in Twos

Tonight I went to a bookstore and Kenya Expresso with Monica, one of the Korean teachers at my school, to start our Foreign Language Exchange Program.  Ian, ECC's head foreign teacher and my roommate, started this program at school where foreign and Korean teachers will meet up once or twice a week in their spare time and discuss and teach each other's languages and customs.  First of all, Ian couldn't have picked me a better partner to do the program with.  Monica is one of the sweetest girls I've met in Korea and we get along so great-- partly because we sat next to each other for three months.  But I've always had such a good time with her and our personalities seem to mix; we're both very bubbly, energetic, random, and personable.  We're going to work extremely well as a pair.


Monica and I at Kenya Expresso.

Tonight, we went to the bookstore and shopped.  She helped me pick out a text book that included a CD and a workbook for beginners who are learning Korean.  I am super excited about diving in and trying to learn as much as I can.  Now that I know I am going to be here for at least two years, it's not about a want or desire to learn the language, but now about survival and necessity-- two mindsets that are becoming prominent in my life.  Finally, the desire to become bilingual has increased greatly as I hangout with English-speaking Koreans like Monica and Young-tae.  Spanish did not work out for me in high school or college, so if I'm looking for motivation to learn a second language, the time is now.


The books I got at the bookstore.


As for my part in this exchange program, I am still in search of books that focus on speaking and conversation.  Monica believes her speaking is what needs the most improvement, although I feel her speaking is quite impressive!  I'm trying to find one by Saturday so I can give it to her before we go to Boseong.  Young-tae is also wanting to improve his speaking so I'm in search of a book for him as well.  Anyways, I am going to find one or two news articles or small stories for Monica to read.  She will in turn tell me about them (only through conversation) and also find ten or so vocabulary words that she does not know and I will explain to her the meanings (and multiple meanings if there are any) and how and when to use them in a sentence correctly.  My "homework" is to complete Unit 1 in my book and memorize Korean conversation phrases.  So, on top of my  Korean class at school taught by Phoebe, I am getting a double dose of Korean with this Foreign Exchange Program and I'm perfectly fine with that. :)


Well, that's it for tonight.  I'm going to hit the books and practice my writing and reading.  I'm really glad I'm serious about learning Korean because it fills the education void I have, which unexpectedly, I miss.  Tomorrow night, some teachers, both Korean and foreign, are coming over to my apartment to play some games and have a few drinks.  It should be a good, laid-back night.  

No comments:

Post a Comment