Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Upcoming Attractions and Blossoming Addictions

I have one word for you: China.  Today, I went and bought mine and Jo's plane tickets to Beijing.  It's one thing to talk about your plans to travel and it's another ball game having really bought the tickets.  It solidifies that aspiration; it makes it true and I think that is what gives me the biggest adrenaline rush.  I'm actually doing something I've tried planning since I was a junior in high school.  Ask my parents-- I was always talking about my summer backpacking adventures in Europe with my buddies from AP English, but nothing ever originated from that young, naive dream of seeing the world.  But since I've taken the job in SK, I've managed to see two countries and in my fourth month, I'm on my way to seeing three.  It's absolutely thrilling!  I actually get to say that I've seen Japan; I get to say that I've seen China and I've stood on one of the oldest man-made pieces of architecture in the world and more importantly, one of the world's wonders.  Buying those tickets today was a step forward into the right direction (even more so than Japan)-- I'm not just talking about traveling; I'm doing it.  I'm that guy with those pictures and those experiences that few that I know can say have done it. 


Jo and I in Osaka, Japan


 I apologize for a slight tone of arrogance but I'm on a traveling high.  Even though I still have to send home my minimum payments for my undergraduate loans, I've decided that I'm not going to let "money" come between me and the experiences I should be grasping and living while being in Asia.  I'm already planning a backpacking trip to some places in SK (places: unknown), and I'm already going through my travel agent who has helped me with China for a possible trip to either Malaysia, Indonesia, or Singapore for New Years.  


More importantly, out of all the people I've met in Korea, I can't imagine seeing Beijing with greater people.  I'm not sure if Lauren or Jessie are still going with Jo and I, but I can say that Jo and I are more than likely going to be traveling buddies.  I am looking forward to spending more time with Whitney and Caroline as we seem to be getting closer with each passing week.  Tonight, I hung out with them, Jake and Devon, Steve, and Jay and honestly, I can say that since we're the "new" teachers on staff, we're going to form pretty close-knit relationships.  I'm really excited about the upcoming year with them (even though I'm going to be here longer than some of them). 


ECC Teachers and I at Fish N' Grill


This Saturday should be fun.  I'm going to the Green Tea Gardens in Boseong.  Ashley's parents (Korean teacher at ECC) live there and the GTGs seem to be a pretty popular attraction in SK.  Monica and I have decided to organize a group outing to the gardens this Saturday.  We're leaving at 9:30 am and should be an all day thing.  Look for pictures either here or on Facebook!  Right now, Young-tae is at the hospital in Haenam (stupid professor), but I think he is going to be able to come on Saturday, too.  


This much I can say: I've got a lot going on the next few months and there are no complaints!  I can definitely say that I've developed some addictions here.  Number one: traveling.  It's too easy, it's "cheap," and I'll be damned if I let an opportunity pass me by to do it.  Second: the culture and my students.  I'm obsessed with Korea and I've actually been told I have adapted here faster and better than any other foreigner that they've seen (and this was coming from a person who was living here for a year. Again, sorry for the arrogance).  As for my students, like any teacher in America, everyone has good days and bad days.  But 99.9% of the time, I love my students.  They make my days worth getting up for. The third addiction is my friends.  I've made some great friends here and (no offense to my family), they've become my family here.  They're all I got here; I don't get to come home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.  We're already planning a sleepover on Christmas Eve here and already it makes me sad knowing this is the first Christmas I won't be home with my family, opening gifts by the Christmas tree and watching my fat indoor dog unwrapping her bone.  We're a family here-- we make our experience what it is and we're all each other has right now. 

My Carnival 3 Class

And these are my addictions and honestly, I'm okay with them.  It's not like it's cocaine or anything. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment