Monday, September 28, 2009

Waffle House, Muggings, and a Skype Reunion.

Not much has really gone on this week.  I've been exceptionally busy at work.  At the end of every month, we have to complete student evaluations for every student that we have in class.  This adds up to be about 130 evaluations per teacher.  Then to top everything off, we have to make tests, give tests (speaking, listening, and writing), grade them, turn them in to our Korean partner teachers, then get ready for next session by making lesson plans for all 12 of my classes.  I, however, am not bad at managing my time when it comes to this time of the month.  What I've learned is that you've got to stay on top of your work; otherwise, it piles up in the end and you risk the possibility of slitting your wrists.  


On Friday, some of the foreign teachers had to help with the Kindergarten Farmer's Market.  In each of the classrooms, there were different venues like fruits, vegetables, snacks, and the flea market.  The best part was that we had to wear yellow sashes and what appeared to be a Waffle House employee's hat. It was classic. Katelyn and I were chosen to work the Flea Market with Kelly, another Korean teacher.  For two hours, we sat behind a table and "sold" the Kinders toys, clothes, books, and other random stuff.  They had fake money and the kids were adorable! They had memorized scripts all week and many of them chose to bargain with us and ask for discounts.  While working the Farmer's Market put a big strain on our day because it put us in a mad dash to eat a quick lunch and get everything ready for class, it was still a really good time.



He decided to buy blue Mickey Mouse ears.



Kinders waiting with anticipation to begin the Farmer's Market.


Friday night was pretty uneventful.  I went over to Lauren's apartment and drank with some people (Lauren, Jessie, Jo, Kate, another Korean girl [I forgot her name], and a Korean guy who I only know as "Light Dragon.") We played some classic Korean drinking games then later on, decided to pose for mugging shots that consisted of Won, a toy gun, and a medical mask.  See below.





The group.




The mugging of Light Dragon.


I called it an early night on Friday-- which means I finally got home at 4:00 am.  The next day, I went and had Kimbop Nara.  If I haven't told you before, it's like the Waffle House of Korea.  It's open 24-hours a day and sells very cheap and good food.  Saturday was a day that I got to see my progress in my Korean studies.  I actually looked at the menu, read it, and ordered my food.  More importantly, I ordered the correct food.  So, I was very pleased at this accomplishment. :)


Saturday night, I went out with Katelyn, Jo, Prairie, and Ian to "Outdoor Galbi" then to Song's.  It was a pretty tame night and I had a good time.  When I got home, I made plans to Skype with my entire family that morning when I woke up.  It was probably the best feeling ever-- to be able to talk to my parents, my brother, my sister-- everyone.  My family was having a get together at our house for my sister's engagement.  It was so good seeing everyone and knowing me, I cried at the sight of everyone.  It was so overwhelming and it made me miss home so much.  I miss my family.  It was the first time in four months that I've seen my parent's and sister's face.  :)



The picture on the right was sent by my cousin.  Those are my parents in front of the computer with Landre.  This picture makes me really happy.  It's BBQ on the River-- a big Paducah thing that brings in a lot of tourists.  They kept rubbing it in but, of course, I told them they could have their BBQ.  I've got the Great Wall next weekend.


Speaking of which, China is in less than a week! I am so exciting about seeing everything.  While I'm super excited about spending more unforgettable time with Jo and seeing the Great Wall, the Forbidden City, etc., I am getting a little more hyped up about seeing the Water Cube and the Bird's Next.  I am really excited about taking some awesome pictures.  You better believe there will be an updated shortly after my arrival back into Korea.


Well, only three days of teaching this week then I am finally on vacation-- a much deserved one at that.  It's late so I'm going to call it a night.  Miss and love you all!  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment